Saturday, July 21, 2007

useless memories








So, I have this filing cabinet full of my copious college notes, and some from high school. I often go through them and wonder, where did all this information and knowledge that I worked so hard to acquire go? It seems such a shame. To think of the countless hours I studied in dimly lit, stale-air college libraries (UTSA & SAC) force feeding my brain all this information, only to have it slip away soon after the final course testing. It makes you question the efficiency of our learning institutions. I mean, when have I ever had to use higher algebraic math since then? If the focus of my studies was in any other area than art, maybe I would use it. But I seem to remember making it very clear on declaring my Major area of study to be visual arts. Perhaps learning how to work with abstract number formulas helped my brain develop under the surface, improving the functionality of my subconscious processes. Maybe it just improved my ability to concentrate, buckle down and put in hard mental effort. What do you think?

Oh, sorry about the gag joke...I just can't resist!

5 comments:

Sam Lotfi said...

Hey Ryan,
You have a good point, my major was also visual arts and I don't remember any of the info I studied so hard in college. Especially my core classes. I like your blog. Check out my blog when you get a chance: www.theartofsamlotfi.blogspot.com
Feel free to add me as a link on your blog and I'll try to figure out how to do the same with yours. Later.

Angela said...

I just found your blog on Flanigans page. You're so wierd about college but you have a good point. I try to apply algebra everytime I go to the bank and the tellers just dont get it. jk. Your comic is so freakin creative. Can't wait to see you back at Knotts! Welcome back

Ryan@FiestaTX said...

Even if you don't remember Calculus or Transitive Verbs, the learning process contributes to your ability to reason and communicate. Mathematics trains the mind to think logically and abstractly and English trains the mind to communicate and write. You might not retain the specifics of Joyce and Tennyson, but you can sure write and learn well.

I like this one alot. I often wonder what happens to my innermost thoughts once I've finished with them. Many authors make the point that 'forgetfulness' is an essential aspect of conciousness. Without it, constant thought of all things would suffocate our minds.

Ryan@FiestaTX said...

What was that phone number in the toilette?

Ryan said...

lol...the number is from an 80's song in which the singer is stoked about getting this hot chicks number, the recitation of the number being the chorus line...